Hebrews 11:8-10 – “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. 9 By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; 10 for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.” NKJV
In Genesis 12 we find a detailing of the Abrahamic Covenant in which God promised some specific things to Abraham:
- Make you a Great Nation
- Bless you.
- Make your Name great.
- You will be a Blessing.
- Bless those who bless you.
- Curse those who Curse you.
- In you all the families of the earth will be blessed.
We find our connection to that Covenant in Galatians 3:29 because we belong to Christ we are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise, therefore Abraham’s blessings are mine! Abraham was looking for a city with foundations whose builder or architect was God. You and I as believers are heirs to that inheritance so WHAT does our inheritance include? A city!
Before you protest and give me the traditional argument that his is specifically and singularly speaking of Heaven I ask you to hear the conclusion of the whole matter before deciding. Before you argue that Abraham was not focused on here and now but only on eternity in this let me ask you consider:
- EGYPT – – Biblically understood as speaking of sin, death and spiritual bondage.
- RED SEA – – At least one symbolism is baptism and the cutting away of the flesh and removing its authority and power in our lives.
- WILDERNESS – – The process of preparing and developing us in our relationships and trust as well as freeing us from our dependency on the world and flesh. In a real sense it is our spiritual boot camp.
- JORDAN – – A second baptism which is the Holy Spirit and through this we are:
- Armed for War.
- Our Identity solidified.
- Our Confidence developed.
- Readied for battle, walk and warfare free of the control of the flesh.
- CANAAN – – Represents the Land of Promise.
The old songs identify it as Heaven but I would contend that it is not heaven but a picture of the Victorious Life in the here and now. I argue that for the following reasons:
- The land had enemies occupying it.
- The enemies had to be defeated.
Forgive me but I do not find the reference in Scripture to where we have to dispossess any enemies to occupy heaven. It identifies the Land of Promise or Place of Promise for us in the here and now and it is time we begin to take the land and occupy the place of promise
So before we continue in looking at THE VISION and THE CITY we will pause and rejoice in the day the Lord has given us. Blessings as you go through this day!