Psalm 112:1-10 – Praise the LORD!
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, Who delights greatly in His commandments.
2 His descendants will be mighty on earth; The generation of the upright will be blessed. 3 Wealth and riches will be in his house, And his righteousness endures forever. 4 Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. 5 A good man deals graciously and lends; He will guide his affairs with discretion. 6 Surely he will never be shaken; The righteous will be in everlasting remembrance. 7 He will not be afraid of evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. 8 His heart is established; He will not be afraid, Until he sees his desire upon his enemies.
9 He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever; His horn will be exalted with honor. 10 The wicked will see it and be grieved; He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked shall perish.” NKJV
I fully realize that using an entire Psalm affords far more material than a single devotional can accommodate but the point I hope to make is the “Far Reaching Blessings of Righteousness.” The first verse characterizes this person in a two-fold description. He “fears” the LORD and “delights” in God’s commandments. This is an individual who is “in love” with God and so deeply committed to His word, will, and way that his ever-present desire is to do that which God desires. His desire is given over to God’s desire and done so joyously. It is not enough to express love for God we must be obedient to Him and obey His commandments. It is one thing to obey a directive from anyone under coercion but quite another to do so out of love and with delight. Therefore, this Psalm is speaking of the individual who not only “fears” God but He “loves” God enough that it is his delight and joy to be obedient and keep God’s commandments.
What does that kind of heart, mind, attitude, and action produce? Let’s consider them briefly as we skim over the incredible nuggets of spiritual meat to be mined in further consideration.
- His Descendants will be Mighty on Earth.
- The Generation of the Upright will be Blessed.
- Wealth and Riches will be in his House.
- His Righteousness Endures Forever.
- He will have the Light of Truth as His Guide.
- He is Gracious, Compassionate, and Righteous.
- He will deal with others Graciously and be Charitable, not Greedy.
- He will be Discrete.
- He will not be Shaken because of God’s Presence, Purpose, and Power.
- He will leave a Legacy of Righteousness.
- He will not walk in Fear.
- His Heart will be Steadfast with Faith and Confidence in God.
- He will see His Enemies Fall.
- He will remember the Poor.
- He will have Honor.
- His State will Grieve the Wicked and will cause the downfall of the wicked plans and desires.
That is simply an overview not a dissertation on the finer points but consider the “Far-Reaching Benefits of Righteousness.” It not only impacts the individual but their posterity and entire generations within his/her sphere of influence are impacted positively. What a legacy to leave behind.
God bless you as you go through this wonderful day in Him!