Acts 1:8 – “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” NKJV
Jesus promised His followers in John 14:26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My Name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” The Holy Spirit is Omnipresent being a member of the God-head and is our Helper to guide, equip, strengthen, and empower us for the work of the Kingdom of God. I believe that if anything is to be done in the “Supernatural” for God and good it will be done through the ministry and anointing of the Holy Spirit. He EMPOWERS. He BESTOWS gifts and He ANOINTS. Therefore, it would seem obvious that we need His presence, power, and manifestation in today’s world and church. Yet, it is biblically clear that God will not intrude, violate us and our ability to choose and force Himself upon us. He stands at the door and knocks and it is up to us to open the door and invite Him in. Therefore, if we are to have the Supernatural Manifestation of the Holy Spirit, most of the time we have to extend an invitation for Him to come in.
I realize there were times in Scripture and even history where the Holy Spirit sovereignly and spontaneously fell upon people His power was demonstrated. [Acts 2:2; 10:44]. There were times when people prayed for Him to come and He came as in Acts 4:31. With that in mind I suggest we can and should “Invite Him to Come” and do so with complete confidence He will.
- Scripture teaches that we can ASK for the Holy Spirit. [Luke 11:13]
- The Church Needs God’s Supernatural Power and Anointing. The first empowering occurred when the Holy Spirit spontaneously fell on them. [Acts 1:8; 2:4]
- Frequently in the Book of Acts, church growth was triggered by the manifestation of God’s Power through the Work of the Holy Spirit. [Acts 5:12,14]
- Paul listed the Demonstration of God’s Power above Brilliant Reasoning in preaching the Gospel. [1 Corinthians 2:4]
- Miracles, Signs, and Wonders were wrought by the Power of God to confirm the preaching of the Gospel. [Mark 16:20; Acts 14:3; Hebrews 2:3-4]
- The Anointing of the Holy Spirit effects the release of the Gifts of the Spirit and opens the door for God to initiate Spiritual Ministry. [1 Corinthians 12:11]
- The Anointing of the Holy Spirit blesses those who receive the Spirit of God and subsequently those ministered to by them. [We find that Gospel is confirmed by God’s Holy Spirit, the Kingdom of God extended and expanded and the Name of Jesus is glorified. Are those not reason to invite the Holy Spirit and desire His presence and ministry in our lives and churches today?]
As individuals, we do the things mentioned but what can we do as local congregations to invite and receive the ministry and power of the Holy Spirit in our midst? I believe there are several things that apply both to the individual and the local congregation. We must MAINTAIN Open Hearts. We must INVITE the Holy Spirit to come. We must learn to WAIT or TARRY until He comes, which is the most difficult of all. If our hearts are not pure and open to God the Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion and cannot operate as God would desire. Therefore, if we want God’s Spirit to be mightily in our lives and churches we must SEEK FIRST the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness.
Among other signs of His presence will be Awe of God and humility in His presence. I believe that when the Holy Spirit comes on an individual and a Congregation LOVE will overflow so powerfully it is beyond description. I believe in all the gifts of the Spirit and while I am not addressing them, at this point, let me say that when the Holy Spirit comes, Jesus Comes and where Jesus is LOVE is present as is PEACE. If those are absent regardless of any other apparent evidences, I would suggest that the Holy Spirit is not there as God desires Him to be.
We need God’s Holy Spirit today as much if not more than ever in our lives, churches, and the world. God help us to desire and seek the anointing and power of the Spirit of God today!
God bless you richly is my prayer and desire!